[Distutils] Extracting distutils into setuptools

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 05:37:53 EDT 2017

On 27 September 2017 at 12:30, xoviat <xoviat at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In short, I think your proposal is a good one, but how can we allocate
>> manpower?
>
> (issue31595 on bugs.python.org)
>
> So what do others think of this? My sense of things is that people are open
> to the idea, but there isn't a plan to make it happen.

As long as Jason is amenable to the idea on the setuptools side, and
pip's trick of injecting setuptools into a process to change the
behaviour of distutils imports continues to work, then this seems like
a reasonable idea to me.

There will still be folks that want to patch distutils itself, but I
don't see that as being substantially different from folks still
patching the standard library Tcl/Tk bindings, even though there are a
number of popular non-stdlib GUI toolkits.

Cheers,
Nick.