[Distutils] Summary of PyPI overhaul in new LWN article

Sumana Harihareswara sh at changeset.nyc
Wed Apr 11 22:30:49 EDT 2018

Today, LWN published my new article "A new package index for Python".
https://lwn.net/Articles/751458/ In it, I discuss security, policy, UX
and developer experience changes in the 15+ years since PyPI's founding,
new features (and deprecated old features) in Warehouse, and future
plans. Plus: screenshots!

If you aren't already an LWN subscriber, you can use this subscriber
link for the next week to read the article despite the LWN paywall.
https://lwn.net/SubscriberLink/751458/81b2759e7025d6b9/

This summary should help occasional Python programmers -- and frequent
Pythonists who don't follow packaging/distro discussions closely --
understand why a new application is necessary, what's new, what features
are going away, and what to expect in the near future. I also hope it
catches the attention of downstreams that ought to migrate.

--
Sumana Harihareswara
Warehouse project manager