[Distutils] draft PEP: manylinux2

Ivan Pozdeev vano at mail.mipt.ru
Mon Feb 5 03:03:01 EST 2018

On 05.02.2018 5:15, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 1 February 2018 at 10:01, Mark Williams <mrw at enotuniq.org> wrote:
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> The manylinux1 platform tag has been tremendously useful, but unfortunately it's showing its age:
>>
>> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2017-April/030360.html
>> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/wheel-builders/2016-December/000239.html
>>
>> Nathaniel identified a list of things to do for its successor, manylinux2:
>>
>> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2017-April/030361.html
>>
>> Please find below a draft PEP for manylinux2 that attempts to address these issues.
> Thanks for this!
>
> Something we've discussed in the past is switching manylinux over to a
> variant of CalVer, where the manylinux version number inherently
> conveys the era of operating system compatibility that each variant is
> targeting. In the case of this PEP, that would be `manylinux2010`,
> since the RHEL/CentOS 6 ABI was formally set with the release of RHEL
> 6 in November 2010.
>
> The intended benefit of that is that it would allow folks to go ahead
> and propose newer manylinux variants that allow for ppc64le and
> aarch64 support as needed, without having to guess where those
> definitions should come in a sequential series.
IMO this will bring forth more confusion that it'll solve. Technically,
the ABI is linked to kernel and library versions rather than dates.
Since Linux, unlike commercial products, is not locked into a particular
vendor and thus doesn't have a single product life cycle forced upon it,
those vary wildly between distibutions and running installations.

--
Regards,
Ivan