[Distutils] draft PEP: manylinux2

Mark Williams mrw at twistedmatrix.com
Thu Feb 8 01:12:19 EST 2018

On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 08:41:06PM +1000, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> Hmm, that question prompted me to notice a flaw in the current wording
> of https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0571/#platform-detection-for-installers.
>
> The way that's currently worded suggests that
> "bool(_manylinux.manylinux2010_compatible)" would be the only way to
> identify whether or not a manylinux2010 wheel should be considered for
> installation.
>
> That isn't the case: installers checking for manylinux2010
> compatibility should fall back to "have_compatible_glibc(2, 12)" if
> there's no `_manylinux` module, or if that module doesn't include a
> "_manylinux.manylinux2010_compatible" attribute.

Agh, thank you!  Fortunately that's exactly what the draft pip
implementation does:

https://github.com/pypa/pip/pull/5008/files#diff-542f0dc2284dcb0cb6a0382dfeeb8ed2R160

I've pushed a new branch that includes this change:

https://github.com/markrwilliams/peps/commit/4476f9c77b5adb6df4dcc00829303a5613ec7d9d

--
  Mark Williams
  mrw at twistedmatrix.com