[Distutils] Warehouse update: a week of testing, polish, & infrastructure
sh at changeset.nyc
Tue Feb 27 15:53:13 EST 2018
This week we're publicizing pypi.org to package maintainers and asking
them/you to test it, and to spread the word to other package maintainers
And we're probably within two or three weeks of the big public beta,
given the existing open Warehouse issues in the next milestone, the
new issues we'll open based on user testing this week, and the
infrastructure work in play. You can learn more in our weekly meeting
We've been doing lots of performance and memory consumption work as we
harden our infrastructure and codebase to make them production-ready,
lots of polish as we get more testers and get their feedback.Examples:
* reduce columns pulled for main project view in admin
* Guard against all tuples in metadata upload
* Add table style to project description, clean up titles
* Add SQLAlchemy error fix to troubleshooting docs
* Update PyPI migration info in packaging guide
And thanks to volunteers:
* alex for "Don't install g++ from a PPA in travis"
* wasim for "Added help entry for File already exists error"
* HndrkMkt for "Redirect authenticated user from reset pw pages to
Our infrastructure work included more improvements to cabotage --
see Ernest's demo:
> It’s super rough… but here’s first light of an end to end deployment
on this thing I been building. still plenty of work to do, but already
chock full of automated end-to-end TLS, secure storage of secrets with
Vault, a bucket of Kubernetes, enough docker to make your head spin...
And our infrastructure work included a restart of Nicole's user testing,
both with the broad publicity to package maintainers and with Nicole
leading folks through one-on-one exercises and data-gathering sessions.
More about Nicole's current design process is in her blog update.
Some issue discussion this week that you might find relevant:
* Which 3rd party services should we contact about the new pypi.org
* APIs/feeds issues got a bit more sorted -- and if there's
anything you need in our API docs that isn't in there, please let us
* What should we show as the default search result on
* What do new developers need in architecture documentation?
* Should we rename the "/legacy" URL?
As usual, you can get an overview of Warehouse development at our GitHub
rollout board And if you want to help out, this week, please do test
the site, come to our IRC livechat hours, and spread the word.
Thanks to Mozilla for their support for the PyPI & Warehouse work, and
thanks to the Python Software Foundation for coordinating it!
More information about the Distutils-SIG