[Distutils] PEP 566 - metadata 1.3 changes

Thomas Kluyver thomas at kluyver.me.uk
Fri Jan 12 10:26:40 EST 2018

On Wed, Jan 10, 2018, at 11:42 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 11 January 2018 at 00:54, Daniel Holth <dholth at gmail.com> wrote:
> > AFAICT the only missing feature from old-Metadata-2.0 is "description as
> > message body", which places readable description text after the key/value
> > pairs.
>
> Do pip/PyPI/et al currently support that?

It looks like twine supports it, at least for wheels:
https://github.com/pypa/twine/blob/f74eae5506300387572c65c9dbfe240d927788c2/twine/wheel.py#L99

I don't think pip needs to support it (does pip do anything with descriptions?). I haven't looked at PyPI's code, but I'd guess it uses the metadata sent with the upload by tools like twine and flit.

Thomas