[Distutils] Installed Extras Metadata

Pradyun Gedam pradyunsg at gmail.com
Fri Jan 26 12:40:59 EST 2018

Resending coz I clicked the wrong button.

On Fri, 26 Jan 2018 at 22:16 Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 26 January 2018 at 16:07, Pradyun Gedam <pradyunsg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Is there any other place where current functionality needs this
> >> information, *apart* from pip check? Are there any proposed additional
> >> features that might need it?
> >
> > Yes. I currently have a branch where during pip install, after the
> packages
> > to be installed are selected, it does a pip check on what would be the
> > installed packages if the installation is successful. This would mean
> that
> > if we do select an incompatible version for installation, pip install
> would
> > be able to print a warning.
>
> I'd rather see us get a proper solver that would mean this should
> never happen :-)

Yep, I am working on that. This is more of a short-term thing that I'm
thinking of, just in case the proper solver isn't ready in time for pip 10.
:)

Aside, I've just posted an update over at #988 --
https://github.com/pypa/pip/issues/988#issuecomment-360846457 -- about the
state of the resolver work and the aforementioned branch.

--

Pradyun