[Distutils] Current status of ``setup.py register --list-classifiers``

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 23:05:28 EST 2018

On 30 January 2018 at 09:10, Takayuki Shimizukawa <shimizukawa at gmail.com> wrote:
> I  see.
> I have no objection to deprecate the register command.
> In the future (already?), that means we can not get Trove Classifiers list
> on the command line with setup.py (I do not know how much this command was
> used...).

Right, but you can instead get them directly from the PyPI API with

    $ python3 -c "from urllib.request import urlopen;
print(urlopen('https://pypi.org/pypi?:action=list_classifiers').read().decode())"

(curl/wget/etc will also work, but the advantage of the above version
is that it only requires the Python 3 standard library)

Cheers,
Nick.