[Distutils] PyPI support for linux_ppc64le

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 10:12:50 EDT 2018

On 13 March 2018 at 00:42, Thomas Kluyver <thomas at kluyver.me.uk> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018, at 2:35 PM, Alex Grönholm wrote:
>
> The manylinux1 platform only supports x86-64 and x86-32 (i686)
> architectures. A quote from PEP 513:
>
> Because CentOS 5 is only available for x86_64 and i686 architectures,
> these are the only architectures currently supported by the manylinux1
> policy.
>
> If support is to be extended to other architectures, it requires a new
> standard (which has recently been discussed on this ML).
>

> There was discussion nearly a year ago about adding a manylinux3 variant,
> based on CentOS 7, with ppc64le support:
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2017-March/030315.html
>
> More recently, there was discussion of a manylinux variant based on CentOS
> 6 to provide a newer base without expanding the supported architectures:
> https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2018-January/031943.html
>
> The latter discussion largely got stuck on whether we should switch from
> numbered variants (manylinux2) to using dates in the name (manylinux2014).
> If we can reach an agreement on that point, I think we can probably move
> towards defining more manylinux variants.

Mark was OK with changing PEP 571 over to manylinux2010, but there are also
some fixes needed for the current Platform Detection section, which isn't
spelling out the version of glibc used as the baseline marker:
https://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2018-February/031971.html

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. If folks would like to nudge that process along a bit, I suspect Mark
may find it easier to find time to review a PR making those changes than he
would to draft the changes himself. I don't actually know that for sure
though - I'm just generalising from an approach that often works on me :)