[PYTHON DOC-SIG] newer gendoc released

Robin Friedrich friedric@rose.rsoc.rockwell.com
Thu, 20 Jun 1996 14:12:57 -0500

The newer version of gendoc is now resident on the python.org server.
Go to <http://www.python.org/sigs/doc-sig/> and you'll find a hyperlink
to the gzipped tar file.  this is a work in progress so comments are
welcome (and required:-)

Here's Daniel's README:
=======================
This is an upgraded release of the gendoc tool (I should probably come
up with a more pythonish name then this...).

I've integrated the front end of Martin Chilvers' docco tool, which
means gendoc can also generate docs by parsing files. The "old" way
of importing modules is still supported, and I haven't touched much
of it. Eventually I want to do a complete rewrite of that since the
code is a terrible mess (I know, I wrote it...).

I would be very grateful if people would try this out and send me
suggestions, bugfixes and formatters for LaTeX, RTF, and ... :-)

Anyways, It supports the following formats:

- Plain old ASCII

- HTML (no indexing though)

- MIF (FrameMaker Interchange Format), with automating indexing

- very crude MML (also a FrameMaker format, but much simpler).
  Since I hacked this after lunch today, I probably needs some
  adjustments before it is usable. For instance I can't make
  code fragments look good. It all gets flowed, which is less
  than appealing.

I've added support for some setext markups:

 **this is shown in bold**

 ~italic~
 ~the~ ~setext~ ~specification~ ~states~ ~that~
 ~you~ ~must~ ~do~ ~this~ ~to~ ~mark~ ~up~
 ~multiple~ ~words~!

 _underlined_text_

Understanding numbered lists and definitions are things I would
like, but haven't done yet.

Jim Fulton told me he had some code for doing things with docstrings,
but I haven't looked at it yet. I'll do that.

Anyway, please help out if you can. This is supposed to be a
collaborative effort to come up with one really useful documentation
tool for the Python community.

--
Daniel Larsson
dlarsson@sw.seisy.abb.se