[PYTHON DOC-SIG] Self-documenting code.. :-)

Andy Eskilsson x-aes@telelogic.se
19 Nov 1996 10:56:50 +0100

I don't know if this has been discussed before (I just joined the
list) but would it be possible to do some kind of browser for X and
uhm.. well curses sort of would be fine?

What I really want to say is that most X applications has a
help-menu.. and well there already (hopefully) exists documentation
for the application in the __doc__ strings, so why not use the __doc__
string when generating the help dialog?

Of course this should use the standards the rest of the docs are
using..

An example of this have I done in my Regexper application, just trying
it out, check http://www.fukt.hk-r.se/~flognat/hacks/Regexer3.py.

Another way to use this could also be text displayed when issuing a
application -h, instead of needing a bunch of print statements, it
could print out a selection of the __doc__ strings?

This is maybe easy to do for one app, but it would maybe be nice
having a good browser that people can use, and maybe also the
possibility to not only grab the modules doc string, but the other
doc strings belonging to classes/imported modules/functions?

	/Andy

--
  Hi I am an alien .sig, and at the  | Unsolicited commercial email is
 moment I am having sex to your mind,|subject to an archival fee of $400.

send messages to: doc-sig@python.org