[PYTHON DOC-SIG] New regex module (long)

Robin Friedrich friedric@phoenix.net
Sat, 19 Oct 1996 11:27:57 -0500

Ka-Ping Yee wrote in reply to email from me:

> [...]
> it will make them quit Python.  Worse, i found that pregex is 2.5 times
> slower than *that*, which amounts to a some 15 times slower than Perl.
> I don't intend to offend the implementors of these modules, but i do
> feel that a speed improvement is needed.  And because of the room for
> improvement, people will get more excited if we say regexes are e.g.
> "3 times faster now" rather than "only half as fast as Perl's". :)
>
> How can this be accomplished?  I haven't looked much at the Perl source.
> But here are some of my own thoughts on speed/efficiency issues:
>
>     1.  A survey of a few scripts led me to discover that by far the
>         majority of regular expressions actually represent *very*
>         *simple* things and often don't require the full power of a
>         regular expression (well, according to my survey, anyway).
>
>         This means that there are lots of opportunities for optimization
>         everywhere.  I think it makes sense to target the most common
>         idioms in regular expressions and make them as fast as possible
>         (even at the expense of expressions that fall outside these
>         special cases).
>
>         My way of doing this is by introducing a whole host of extra
>         opcodes for very specific purposes, to reduce cycles through
>         the bytecode interpreter and give us more chances to run loops
>         in C.  For example, possibly the single most common idiom in
>         Perl regular expressions is "\s*" (slurp whitespace).  There
>         is almost never any need for backtracking because the next
>         thing in the regex is almost always non-whitespace.  So this
>         can be replaced with a single opcode which makes a C routine
>         skip all available whitespace, fast.
>
>         This particular optimization method can be generalized: any
>         character class followed by a maximal-matching operator can
>         be converted into a single loop if the set of possible matches
>         following it does not intersect that character class.
>
>     2.  With the similar goal of keeping execution in C as much as
>         possible, we can also incorporate extra regex features.
>         This will be dealt with below, but i wanted to point out that
>         it is also an important speed issue.  A single new feature,
>         which activates a compact and optimized C routine, can be
>         tremendously faster than the equivalent, complicated regular
>         expression as it would have had to have been expressed
>         without using the feature.
>
>     3.  One of the biggest things that bothers me to no end about
>         Python is the immutability of strings.  It cripples you.
>         You can't pass around large files.  You can't cut up and
>         append long strings.  Every time you try, you have to wait
>         for the entire string to get duplicated.  This is awful,
>         and it means quadratic times for linear algorithms.
>
>         So, one of my ideas has been to build regex functionality
>         into a new "mutable string" class which is capable of faster
>         appends and slices.  For programs which chew through files
>         and want to assemble the results piece by piece, i think this

I think a new mutable string type could be very powerful as well.
Maybe exploring synergy with the new array module could bare fruit?

>     4.  The regsub module does exactly that: chews through a string
>         and assembles the results piece by piece.  Because of the
>         immutability of strings, it's quadratic (arrghh!) which makes
>         it extremely slow for large strings.  (And global substitutions
>         on *big* strings is one of the abilities in which Perl excels.)
>
>         Using mutable strings in regsub would speed it up a lot, but i
>         think the way to go is to do regsub in C once and for all.
>
> (d) i.  extra regex syntax features
>
> I have a few ideas on this front, too.  One of the most common
> comments i hear with regard to regular expressions goes something
> like, "yeah, regular expressions are pretty powerful, but they
> can't do everything.  For example, you can't do balanced matching
> in a regular expression."
>
> Well, why not?  Even something as simple as a new metacharacter:
>
>     \=xy    immediately match an "x" and skip until the balancing "y"
>
> commonly used, perhaps, as \=() or \=[] or \={}, would be useful.
> A single use of this in a regular expression (implemented in a quick
> C loop) would easily beat any kind of scan/count/slice loop in Python
> -- or even Perl -- hands down.

Yes, another good idea, but a lot of thought will be needed on this one.

> (As a side note, i now realize that '=' isn't a very good choice since
> it is a non-word character and it is nice to rely on all non-word
> characters being literal when they are backslashes.  So we should pick
> an appropriate letter of the alphabet, say -- \m() for "matching"?)
>
> I added \l (letter) and \h (hex digit) to my regex patch because i
> find them commonly used and useful, too.  They may be worth considering.
> Also, the interpretation of class metacharacters like \w, \s, etc.
> within [bracketed] classes is also a great timesaver and should be
> on the list.
>
> > 3) What are the perl5 features which might come in handy?
>
> Minimal matching with ??, +?, and *? was the most-immediately-useful
> and easiest-to-implement feature, so i did that in my regex patch.
> This is a prime candidate.  Also very good, as Tom Christiansen
> recently pointed out, are the negative look-ahead assertions (?!...).
>
> Perl purists may complain that we are copying or stealing their syntax,
> but i think there is no reason why we should confuse people who already
> know a perfectly good way of doing these things by making up our own.

Tom also mentioned that Larry closely examined Guido's object system
when implementing the perl5 object support so I don't feel guilty of
anything at all if we borrow as much good regex stuff as possible from
perl5. We will ignore any spurious perluddite comments.
(just tell them immitation is the sincerest form of flattery and leave
it at that;-)

> (d) ii. extra syntax features on strings in general
>
> Despite possible cries from Python users about it "looking like Perl"
> or "looking like Tcl", i think Python needs string interpolation.
> Although "foo %(spam)s bar" % vars() may be adequate, it's just too
> clumsy for people who are doing text processing.  It may increase
> the amount of typing you have to do by 30-50%, and also increase the
> opportunities for mistakes.
>
> I'm currently thinking of a string interpolation scheme which is
> slightly more powerful than Perl's.  Python's consistency lets me
> describe it in just two rules.  For conciseness, i'll describe
> the syntax using regular expressions with the above extensions, and
> include rxb-like expressions for readability:
>
>     1.  $\w+(\m[]|\m()|\.\w+|)*
>
>         '$' + some(wordchars) + some(
>             either(balanced('[]'), balanced('()'), '.' +
> some(wordchars)))
>
>     2.  $\m{}
>
>         '$' + balanced('{}')

Dollar signs sends shivers down my spine, but carry on.

> Either of the above things, when found, is replaced with its
> value when evaluated as a Python expression and then converted
> to a string with 'str' (not 'repr').  In all cases when you
> want to use a literal "[", "(", or "." immediately following
> an interpolation, you can just protect the interpolation with {}
> and nothing changes because it's already an expression.  To get
> a '$' you use '$$'.  These rules make it possible to write:
>
>     a1. "Here is a $string."
>
>     a2. "Here is a $module.member."
>
>     a3. "Here is an $object.member."
>
>     a4. "Here is a $functioncall(with, arguments)."
>
>     a5. "Here is an ${arbitrary + expression}."
>
>     a6. "Here is an $array[3] member."
>
>     a7. "Here is a $dictionary['foo'] member."
>
> This is, i think, about as compact as you can get and in my opinion
> very lucid.  The following are some comparisons, with typing length
> differences in parentheses (always relative to a1-a7 above).  The
> Perl equivalents are:
>
>     b1. "Here is a $string."  (+0)
>
>     b2. "Here is a $module::member."  (+1)
>
>     b3. "Here is an $object->{member}."  (+3)
>
>     b4. "Here is a " . &functioncall($with, $arguments) . "."  (+10)
>
>     b5. "Here is an " . ($arbitrary + $expression) . "."  (+9)
>
>     b6. "Here is an $array[3] member."  (+0)
>
>     b7. "Here is a $dictionary{foo} member."  (-2)
>
> In Perl 5 you can also do
>
>     c4. "Here is an @{[&functioncall($with, $arguments)]}."  (+8)
>
>     c5. "Here is an ${[$arbitrary + $expression]}."  (+4)
>
> Finally, the current-Python equivalents, for comparison, are:
>
>     d1. "Here is a " + string + "."  (+7)
>     e1. "Here is a %s." % string  (+4)
>     f1. "Here is a %(string)s." % vars()  (+12)
>
>     d2. "Here is a " + str(module.member) + "." (+12)
>     e2. "Here is a %s." % module.member  (+4)
>
>     e3. "Here is an %s." % object.member  (+4)
>
>     e4. "Here is a %s." % functioncall(with, arguments)  (+4)
>
>     e5. "Here is an %s." % (arbitrary + expression)  (+4)
>
>     e6. "Here is an %s member." % array[3]  (+4)
>
>     e7. "Here is a %s member." % dictionary['foo']  (+4)
>
> Clearly, typing is not the be-all and end-all of a programming
> language!  But since the above data were easy to collect, i
> thought i'd present them.  You can see that my proposed syntax
> for interpolation wins almost every time (and the design of
> Python should take more credit for that than i do).  Moreover,
> i feel that it is a lot cleaner and more readable than either
> of the current alternatives in Python or Perl.  (I am ignoring
> Tcl on purpose, as it is even far clumsier at this.)

I think this will be the most controversial of your proposals
but well worth the debate. I'll include it as a definate topic
at the workshop.

> So, given the syntax, what is the implementation?
>
> Trying to force this into anything internal would just not
> work -- at least not initially.  I don't intend to change
> any Python syntax; i was thinking of putting this functionality
> into an "interpolation" module (just in Python to begin with,
> but later in a compiled C module).
>
> What i had in mind was a class "Itpl" which, much like the
> rxb.Pattern class, holds only a string, but gives it special
> meaning just by virtue of its type.  Itpl.__repr__ would
> actually perform the interpolation.  So a casual user could:
>
>     print Itpl("Here is a $string.")
>
> Or the Itpl module could export a "printpl" function as shorthand:
>
>     printpl("Here is a $string.")
>
> Why encapsulate this behaviour in a class?  It means we can
> delay the interpolation from happening until the __repr__
> is actually requested.  When __repr__ is called, it should
> evaluate the expressions in its caller's local and global
> namespaces.
>
> This is relevant to our current discussion because it means
> an Itpl instance could be passed as the replacement argument
> to a regsub, which makes it possible to evaluate real
> expressions for each match to yield the substitution string.
> (The regsub function would then simply define names in the
> Itpl's global name space to represent matching subgroups.)
>
> This gives us Perl's /e option for evaluating expressions
> during regex substitutions, which is very powerful functionality
> that definitely should be available in Python.  Additionally,
> regsub should probably also accept a Python function object as
> the replacement argument, which it calls on each match.

I agree, (although in the function object case performance will
suffer and shouldn't be relied on too heavily).

> -- Anyway, so there are all of my ideas i've been collecting
> so far on improving text processing in Python.  Combining
> everything in d(i) and d(ii) would give Python a great deal of
> text-processing power, and just might even place it in a
> position to seriously compete with Perl for a larger part of
> this application area.
>
> > 4) Who would be the best people to work on this?
> > 5) How much work to you see for such an effort?
>
> A lot of work, probably?  I don't know exactly.  These questions
> are probably the hardest to answer.
>
> I wanted to keep working on this without committing to it
> in public because i'm not very sure about how much time i'll
> be able to devote to it.  I think this project would have a
> great deal of potential, though, and i'm very interested.
> Actually, i already feel better about it now that i've let
> go with all these ideas and contributed something.
>
> Okay, well there it is.  I've been at this letter a *lot* longer
> than i'd planned, so i'd better go eat something.  Let me know
> what you think of these ideas, and also if you have issues in
> mind that i've missed.  (Even if you don't have time to respond to
> everything, i'd rather hear your thoughts in pieces.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Ping
>                                  Developer, Alias|Wavefront Inc. (Tokyo)
> http://www.lfw.org/math/ brings math to the Web as easy as <se>?pi?</se>

Ok guys what do you think? I'll be recruiting for contributions of
ideas and coding on the newsgroup as well as at the workshop. I forsee
a major thread in the c.l.p and then we'll probably move it to a TEXT-SIG.
I know I'm tired of having to answer people about why we should use Python
when Perl is so much better at text processing. I'd love to remove that
thorn from Python's side!  Python has too much going for it to be dismissed
with one easy criticism.

-Robin Friedrich

send messages to: doc-sig@python.org