[PYTHON DOC-SIG] Document Templates

Paul Everitt paul@digicool.com
Wed, 23 Oct 1996 09:38:47 -0500

I'd like to mention that this is certainly used beyond HTML.  For
instance, most of our apps send e-mail in the classic "Feedback Form"
genre.

The form that is actually sent is a DocumentTemplate that looks like an
SMTP-formatted mail message.  It is editable through-the-web, obeys
access control restrictions, and supports "acquisition" of container
attributes.  All in the same way described for HTML.

Ostensibly e-mail is not the only use beyond HTML for
DocumentTemplates.  We've also used them for Web-editing of config
files.

Some on this SIG might not have heard the background behind all this.
We have been working on, and are releasing at the workshop, an object
publishing environment called Bobo:

   http://www.digicool.com/papers/PythonObjectPublisher.html

Benefits:

  o Applications do not have to include code for interfacing with the
web server.
  o Applications can be moved from one publishing mechanism, such as
CGI, to another mechanism, such as Fast CGI or ILU Requestor, with no
change.
  o Python objects are published as Python objects. The web server
"calls" the objects in much the same way that other
  o Python objects would.
  o Automatic conversion of URL to object/subobject traversal.
  o Automatic marshaling of form data, cookie data, and request
meta-data to Python function arguments.
  o Automated exception handling.
  o Automatic generation of CGI headers.
  o Automated authentication and authorization using a rich mechanism.
  o With a name like Bobo, it's gotta be good.

It is tightly integrated with DocumentTemplate and our nested lazy
persistence, as well as other infrastructure we're building.

--Paul

--
Paul Everitt       Digital Creations
paul@digicool.com  540.371.6909