[PYTHON DOC-SIG] Python TIM processor...

Bill Janssen janssen@parc.xerox.com
Tue, 10 Sep 1996 02:10:02 PDT

I've started re-writing my TIM stuff in Python (see
ftp://ftp.parc.xerox.com/pub/ilu/2.0/20a8-manual-html/manual_17.html).
So far I've got a Python script that takes TIM with arbitrary
domain-specific macros, and produces text, info, Texinfo, Postscript, or
HTML output.  Both diagrams and pictures are supported via encapsulated
Postscript; URLs are supported as well.  For the text and info part, you
need GNU makeinfo.  For the Postscript, you need TeX, GNU texindex, and
dvips.  For the HTML, you need another script, a mildly expanded version
of Lionel Cons' texinfo2html perl script; this script also uses a script
called eps2gif, another perl script written by Gisle Aas, which in turn
requires ghostscript with GIF output drivers.

Or, to put it another way:

TIM->Texinfo requires only Python
TIM->Text requires Python & GNU makeinfo
TIM->Info requires Python & GNU makeinfo
TIM->Postscript requires Python, TeX, GNU texindex & dvips
TIM->HTML requires Python, Ghostscript & Perl

1)  Do these seem like reasonable resource constraints?
2)  Is there some Python script for turning texinfo into HTML, so that I
could drop the Perl dependency?
3)  How should the various pathnames that have to be configured into the
various scripts be configured in?
4)  Is there a free dvips implementation?

Bill

send messages to: doc-sig@python.org