[PYTHON DOC-SIG] Structured documentation syntax

Ken Manheimer klm@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Thu, 12 Sep 1996 00:16:09 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 11 Sep 1996, Robin Friedrich wrote:

> |> From: Ka-Ping Yee <s-ping@orange.cv.tottori-u.ac.jp>
> |>
> |> Mostly, though, i do still feel that double-quotes aren't
> |> really the best choice for hyperlinks (and i don't think
> |> any existing doc strings contain hyperlinks, anyway).  Are
> |> there typical uses of brackets, other than [references],
> |> that i haven't thought of?
>
> This is easy to change. I really didn't care, much I just picked
> double quotes out of the air. [] & {} would have worked as well.
> I have used this hyperlink feature in my doc strings and it works
> fine.

Having not kept track of the specifics, i don't know what disqualifies
what i would consider the obvious candidate - angle brackets, eg,
"<http://www.python.org>".  This is the way i've frequently seen URLs
distinguished - is there a reason not to use them generally for
hyperlinks?  Maybe because they specifically imply URLs, or because
they're already dedicated to some other purpose?

Ken Manheimer		klm@cnri.reston.va.us	    703 620-8990 x268
	    (orporation for National Research |nitiatives

send messages to: doc-sig@python.org