[DOC-SIG] XML Extension Module?

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Fri, 19 Dec 1997 10:55:20 -0500

> First, Timing. We're on the verge of releasing Python 1.5. Can we get
> something in there? If not, how long do we have to wait for an
> upgrade/update?

I wouldn't get all hung up about 1.5 being closed for additions (which
it is).  Lots of stuff is considered "available for Python" that isn't
in the core distribution: the Mac port, COM support, NumPy...  There's
really no reason to be concerned about whether something is part of
the core distribution or not.

> I'm also not sure about whether the idea will be popular on Unix
> platforms. Are Python extensions usually linked statically or
> dynamically on those platforms?

That's up to the site admin (or owner of the Unix box).  However,
even if the standard extensions are all linked statically, Python will
still accept new dynamically loaded extensions.

> In other words, if I'm on a standard site with Python installed, and I
> use XML in one out of 99 scripts, do the other 99 scripts usually take
> the binary size hit of having the extension module linked in? I know
> that theoretically dynamic linking is possible, but I'm not sure about
> the amount this feature is actually used in the community.

It's used a lot.

send messages to: doc-sig@python.org