[PYTHON DOC-SIG] SGML-Tools

Guido van Rossum guido@CNRI.Reston.Va.US
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 14:32:42 -0500

> FYI:  The Linux Documentation Project has recently changed
> the name of their tool suite to SGML-Tools.  I'd recommend
> that we at least consider it as a possibility, just to leverage
> off of their efforts.
>
> 	http://web.inter.NL.net/users/C.deGroot/sgmltools/

Hmm, coming from the Netherlands it can't be all that bad :-)

Seriously, it looks like they used the LaTeX document structure and
command set as a model, which could be an advantage for the Library
reference manual and the (yet to write :-) Python-C API manual.

On the other hand, the list of software that is *required* to make it
work is rather impressive, and I wonder how easy it would be to do
some of the conversion steps on Windows (or Mac, but the larger market
share has more power :-( ).

> PS: I may convert my Numeric tutorial to it to see how painful it is.
> It might make sense for someone to convert one of the existing .tex
> files to .sgml to see how painful that is.

If someone steps forward and converts the library manual (or a single
chapter or even section) to SGML, that would be great.  I expect that
the fastest approach is to develop a flexible latex-to-anything
converter...  I'd also be interested in conversion results to TIM, and
would like to consider a comparison of the quality of the restulting
Postscript and HTML (being probably the most useful output formats).

send messages to: doc-sig@python.org