[PYTHON DOC-SIG] Observations about gendoc.

Daniel Larsson dlarsson@sw.seisy.abb.se
Sun, 16 Feb 1997 12:07:21 +0100

------------6BE469A627D94

Mark Hammond wrote:
> All this leads to a nice heriarchical index of the entire package.
>
> So my questions:
> * Does this sound reasonable?  The recursive changes mean that it
> still works as before.  This _seems_ the correct design for ni, which
> is recursive by nature.  This could possibly be put to good use
> elsewhere.

Yes, I think it sounds good. This is more or less the idea I had for
supporting
ni.

> * Re the index.  How should I generate it?  With no frame, an
> indented list seems right.  But if I have frames, an indented list
> will be too "wide".  Best thing that comes to mind is some sort of
> nested set of index pages or something...Maybe dont use an actual
> HTML list (eg, heading levels) , to keep the width down.  How about
> generating for an MSIE tree control :-):-)
> Any advice on this?

I would vote for nested indices. This would at least solve the nested
list
problem.

-- Daniel

------------6BE469A627D94

<HTML><BODY>

<DT>Mark Hammond wrote:<BR>
&gt; ...<BR>
&gt; All this leads to a nice heriarchical index of the entire package.<BR>
&gt;&nbsp;<BR>
&gt; So my questions:<BR>
&gt; * Does this sound reasonable?&nbsp; The recursive changes mean that
it<BR>
&gt; still works as before.&nbsp; This _seems_ the correct design for ni,
which<BR>
&gt; is recursive by nature.&nbsp; This could possibly be put to good use<BR>
&gt; elsewhere.<BR>
<BR></DT>

<DT>Yes, I think it sounds good. This is more or less the idea I had for
supporting</DT>

<DT>ni.</DT>

<DT><BR>
&gt; * Re the index.&nbsp; How should I generate it?&nbsp; With no frame,
an<BR>
&gt; indented list seems right.&nbsp; But if I have frames, an indented
list<BR>
&gt; will be too &quot;wide&quot;.&nbsp; Best thing that comes to mind
is some sort of<BR>
&gt; nested set of index pages or something...Maybe dont use an actual<BR>
&gt; HTML list (eg, heading levels) , to keep the width down.&nbsp; How
about<BR>
&gt; generating for an MSIE tree control :-):-)<BR>
&gt; Any advice on this?<BR>
<BR></DT>

<DT>I would vote for nested indices. This would at least solve the nested
list</DT>

<DT>problem.</DT>

<DT><BR>
-- Daniel</DT>