[PYTHON DOC-SIG] gendoc, etc.

David Ascher da@maigret.cog.brown.edu
Thu, 23 Jan 1997 14:42:25 -0500 (EST)

Hi folks.

I recently posted on the main list asking for a tool to document
existing code, and Daniel Larsson reminded me of gendoc, which I hadn't
played with in ages.

I got the version which is available from the SIG page, and I'm having
consistent problems with it.  Are folks using it, or is there a version
somewhere else which is more stable?  I'm having problems which range
from some strange behavior in parsing structured text, to the fact that
it crashes when parsing what I think is a pretty simple .py file, and
only does a partial job of the doc generation.  Also, for whatever
reason it's not detecting the HTMLgen formatter even though it's in the
formatters directory.

Running gendoc -f HTML gendoc_test.py results in:

Traceback (innermost last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/gendoc", line 5, in ?
    gendoc.gendoc.main()
  File "gendoc/gendoc.py", line 229, in main
  File "gendoc/gendoc.py", line 316, in render_manpages
  File "gendoc/gendoc.py", line 337, in render_pages
  File "gendoc/gendoc.py", line 365, in render_page
  File "gendoc/ManualPage.py", line 322, in render
  File "gendoc/ManualPage.py", line 393, in _render_subsection
  File "gendoc/ManualPage.py", line 393, in _render_subsection
  File "gendoc/ManualPage.py", line 450, in _render_deflist
AttributeError: render_deflist

I can go dig in the code to figure these things out, but I thought I'd
ask first if there were tricks (or other releases) that I should know
about.

Cheers,

David_Ascher@Brown.EDU                     (401) 863-3926
# Python is my favorite language: http://www.python.org #