[DOC-SIG] Comparing SGML DTDs

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 13 Nov 1997 11:29:24 -0500

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > I just don't like the fact that SGML makes characters that occur
 > frequently in Python source code like "<" and "/" special.  Also the

  As Paul pointed out, this is pretty bogus.  The only sort of
conflict I can see which could cause legal Python code to be
intepreted as an SGML or XML construct would be something like this:

	ok = ok&flag; print ok
	       ^^^^^^

  This is legal Python, but ugly as hell, and I don't think I've ever
seen the "&" operator used without spaces.  So I'm not concerned.

 > fact that SGML parsers that support the full syntax are either costly
 > in money or in resources (few sites that I know have an SGML parser

  Again, as Paul pointed out, SP and jade are free and substantially
cross platform as long as a solid C++ compiler is available.  (gcc
counts.)  If you're worried about having to install this stuff at
CNRI, know that jade 1.0 has been installed for a while.  ;-)  I think
1.1 is out; if so I'll upgrade our installation.
  The tools are not unreasonable, they're just not written in Python.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.
fdrake@cnri.reston.va.us