[DOC-SIG] Library reference manual debate

Paul Prescod papresco@technologist.com
Sun, 16 Nov 1997 08:39:57 -0500

Richard Folwell wrote:

> I would like to make a small addition to the Python library documentation [1].
>  It will not be real soon, say at the start of 1998.  What format should I
> produce it in?

I don't think anybody knows yet (well, maybe Guido).

> I am familiar with both SGML and LaTex, but do not currently have either
> installed.  I have access to some tools (including FrameMaker + SGML) for SGML,
> but would have to get hold of TeX.  The working platform is NT.
>
> Access to a Unix box for processing material would be possible, but would be
> both a real pain (I would have to set up a machine specially) and would make it
> almost impossible for me to interest any of my colleagues in the toolset.
>
> I am interested in having a structured text system for my own use (at work we
> use Word, for all the usual wrong reasons).  It would be nice to use a system
> that was in regular use by other people for similar material.

This all sounds like a vote for SGML to me. :)

 * Works on NT
 * Easy to install (just unzip Jade and our stylesheet package)
 * Structured text
 * In regular use by other people

 Paul Prescod

send messages to: doc-sig@python.org