[DOC-SIG] Library reference manual debate

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 11:26:19 -0500

Guido van Rossum writes:
 > hearing from people who have done something that I (and the rest of
 > the Python community) can use.  "Use SGML" is not a productive
 > approach; "this is what I did using SGML" is.

Guido,
  I did want to comment on this.  So far, I haven't seen anyone write
that you should do the work to switch over to SGML or anything else.
I think that Paul and I, perhaps with additional collaborators if
anyone is interested and can squeeze out the time, can muster the
technical expertise to do the work.
  The issue is:  Are you willing to consider using an SGML/XML based
solution as the canonnical form for the documentation if handed to you
on a silver platter and it meets the requirements?  Are you willing to
help us review the requirements to be sure we aren't leaving anything
out that's in there now, or that really needs to be in there?  This is
a question that needs to be answered.  From another message you wrote,
this may be the case, but I'm not certain I didn't misinterpret.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.
fdrake@cnri.reston.va.us