[DOC-SIG] Library reference manual debate

Bill Janssen janssen@parc.xerox.com
Mon, 17 Nov 1997 13:56:53 PST

Excerpts from ext.python: 16-Nov-97 Re: [DOC-SIG] Library refer.. Guido
van Rossum@CNRI.Re (3835)

> Note that one feature I like is that the LaTeX {funcdesc} environment
> automatically creates the index entry for the function; it combines it
> with some information provided earlier in the file:

>     \renewcommand{\indexsubitem}{(in module re)}

> I see that this is done manually in TIM (although I'm not sure why).

I didn't like the automatically-generated index terms (just "ORB_init"
-- I wanted "CORBA.ORB_init (Python LSR function)") that the default
rules for "deffn" provided, so I decide to explicitly specify what I
wanted in the index.  Perhaps the right way to fix this would have been
to extend the TIM front-end to understand a "index context string",
which would have been added to index entries automagically, but to give
us complete control over the entries I decided to use a separate line.

Bill

send messages to: doc-sig@python.org