[DOC-SIG] Library reference SGML plan / size of supplied documentation

Richard Folwell richardf@redbox.net
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 20:07:14 -0000

On Tuesday, November 18, 1997 7:03 PM, Guido van Rossum
[SMTP:guido@CNRI.Reston.Va.US] wrote:
> Many packages these days come with preformatted HTML as the only
> documentation, and it's mighty convenient.

I agree.  We do this.  We do also provide PDF, mainly because it is a better
format if you wanted printed output.

> I could do this, and
> create separate bundles for the PostScript and latex.  Unfortunately,
> it's not a space saver: e.g. the library manual HTML, tarred and
> gzipped, is about 840K, while the latex is less than 240K (also tarred
> and gzipped).

I do not think that this sort of size increase is an issue nowadays, so long as
there is an optional way of getting the distribution without it

> Take similar expansion factors for the other manual
> pages, and you may see the tarred, gzipped Python distribution grow
> from 5.4 Meg to 6.5 Meg -- after unzipping it will probably add 2 or 3
> Meg.  Is this acceptable?

With current hard disk prices, I think that this is completely acceptable.

Richard Folwell

RedBox Technologies, The Media Router Company, http://www.redbox.net
Email: richardf@redbox.net
Voice: +44 181 585 8565             Fax: +44 181 585 8665

send messages to: doc-sig@python.org