[DOC-SIG] Status of documentation effort?

Mark Hammond MHammond@skippinet.com.au
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 10:41:26 +1100

>There has never been a coordinated doc-sig effort started for automated
>documentation generation ala gendoc.  Currently gendoc has been patched
>to work in 1.5 by it's author Daniel Larsson. I have wanted to start one
>though. Hopefully recent interest indicates that we would get some
>substantial efforts from folks on this list should we start one. So...

The list looks very good.  Regarding the winhelp renderer, it is very likely
this wont be needed with the new MS "htmlhelp" stuff.  I'll try and look
into this and see what the impact is.

But my main point of writing is to outline one of my key requirements before
I could move to gendoc full-time.

I really, really, really would like a technique for defining
cross-references in the documentation strings.  At the moment URL's are OK,
but it is nigh on impossible to have "func1" contain a documentation
cross-reference to "func2" - there is no URL for "func2" - it is being
generated by the same process doing func1.

My main objective is to replace all of the "winhelp" documentation I have
with "gendoc" generated.  However, most of the existing winhelp
documentation is formatted as a "reference guide", and cross-references are
an absolute necessity.

Unfortunately, this is not as trivial as it sounds - but it is not too hard
either.  Is there general support for a feature like this?

[I did make some hacks to gendoc to support this, but the patches were too
wide-reaching for me to post back, and no one else except me really seemed
to care about this feature...]

Mark.

send messages to: doc-sig@python.org