[DOC-SIG] Xrefs

Mike Fletcher mcfletch@golden.net
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:45:11 -0500

I too would like to see a form that lets the documentation "read".  But I
think the pattern:
<linktext|targeturi>

is a little foreign-seeming, why not just go for what's already the defacto
standard on the net?

<sourcetype:targeturi>linktext</>
or even:
<sourcetype:targeturi>linktext/
or (going the other way):
<a sourcetype:targeturi >linktext</>
or (getting ridiculous now):
<link uri="sourcetype:targeturi">linktext</link>

Which would give:
""" ... this example makes use of the <win32com.client>win32com client
support</>  It is very similar to the
<sourcefile:win32com.demos.othersample.py> other sample in othersample.py</>.
It makes very heavy use of the bizarre <www.python.org|html>Python feature
spam</>, and the bizarre feature <win32api:eggs>eggs that the win32 API
provides</>
"""

I know, I know, not really in keeping with the "structured text" philosophy
(or, rather, the consistently formatted text philosophy that is called
structured text) , but I tend to think it's a decent approach to the
problem (and one that's rather well understood by now), and one where tools
are rather easy to come by.

Well, enjoy all,
Mike

"Mark Hammond" <MHammond@skippinet.com.au>:
>As a poor starting point, I would consider:
><reference text|object name|namespace>
>""" ... this example makes use of the <win32com client
>support|win32com.client>
>  It is very similar to the <other sample in
>othersample.py|win32com.demos.othersample.py|sourcefile>.
>
>  It makes very heavy use of the bizarre <Python feature
>spam|www.python.org|html>,
>  and the bizarre feature <eggs that the win32 API provides|eggs|win32api>
>"""
stuff on map files
 M i k e   C .  F l e t c h e r

       mcfletch@golden.net