[DOC-SIG] [STRING-SIG] What does this mean for Python?

Andrew Kuchling akuchlin@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Wed, 11 Mar 1998 09:55:26 -0500

Paul Prescod writes:
>How to Make Perl The Language of Choice for XML

	Thanks for finding this, Paul. Now, how should we respond?

	1) The String-SIG's been pretty dead lately; I've been posting
the odd bugfix patch for the PCRE code, and that's about it.  Can we
please start considering a Unicode string type?  This would kill two
birds with one stone, since Unicode is important both for XML and for
Mark Hammond's PythonWin.

	2) The JPython idea is a good one.

	3) What about XML support for CPython?  I'd like to be able to
do XML processing without requiring external programs such as SP or
nsgmls.  Writing an XML DTD parser, and after that a well-formedness
verifier, has therefore been on my project list for a bit. I'll push
it up in importance.  Once we can parse DTDs, we could write an XML
parser that created a tree (or grove, or whatever the precise
terminology is) for a document.  (A module that read SP's output would
still be useful, of course.)

	4) What else is there that could be done?  Perhaps, if the
attempt to convert the documentation to XML is begun, that large
application will drive development of further XML tools.

	What seem like useful deliverables?

A.M. Kuchling			http://starship.skyport.net/crew/amk/
Dream casts a human shadow, when it occurs to him to do so.
	-- From SANDMAN: "Season of Mists", episode 0

send messages to: doc-sig@python.org