[Doc-SIG] SGML Python docs

Cees de Groot cg@pobox.com
Sat, 05 Sep 1998 13:17:01 +0200

tratt@dcs.kcl.ac.uk said:
> Is it now tied in with the SGMLTools stuff posted on this sig a couple
> of weeks back?

No, and I don't think it belongs there for two reasons: first, I think that
generating DocBook (which SGMLtools targets) is overkill; people shouldn't be
forced to have to install Jade et al just to get usable documentation; and
second, like POD, a Python doc generator should be part of the base Python
distribution so that people will actually start using it.

As I'm talking anyway, here's my two cents of ideas (I shouldn't really be
doing this, because I've been here too short and I haven't had the time to
check the archives nor the code that's relevant...): I'd favour XML generation
with a simple XML DTD (containing element definitions for boldface, italic,
code, ordered and unordered list, basically HTML--). Include with Python a
simple XML backend that can generate HTML, manpage source, ASCII and DocBook
SGML - the latter one can then be used for the heavier stuff, like collecting
documentation of numerous modules into one volume (eg., generate the library
reference from the .py modules plus some SGML glue).

Regards

Cees

--
Cees de Groot               http://pobox.com/~cg          <cg@pobox.com>