[Doc-SIG] SGML Python docs

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Tue, 8 Sep 1998 17:10:12 -0400 (EDT)

John Skaller writes:
 >         Well, it is possible I think with the new Latex format,
 > which is clean and comparatively well formalised, to produce

  Thanks!  There are still a few rough edges, but things are
improving, especially if you look at the latest stuff in the CVS
archive.

 >         You will first have to get Guido and others to give up their
 > pet formats -- be it Latex or Frame maker.

  FrameMaker is no longer used, so we only have to worry about one
legacy format, LaTeX.
  I don't think this is a "pet format" issue; there are advantages to
SGML/XML conversion, once there's a specific DTD and the SGML v. XML
decision is made (it's not at all clear which to use).  There are also
advantages to *not* performing a conversion, primarily that the time
saved can be used to actually improve the content of the
documentation.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>
1895 Preston White Dr.	    Reston, VA  20191