[Doc-SIG] New Python documentation translation project announcement

Olivier BERGER Olivier BERGER" <Olivier.Berger@capway.com
Tue, 22 Sep 1998 19:59:04 +0200

Dear members of the Doc-SIG,

First I have to appologize for this (allmost) cross-posting with
comp.lang.python...
But as I think this might concern both python documentation's authors or
people interested in python's future, I have posted this announcement here
too....

I have set-up a Python documentation translation project whith the idea to
provide translated documents about Python for different native languages.
The goal is to let introductory material be available to more and more
people (potentially) interested in Python programming, but who don't have a
good knowledge of english, especially people new to IT or programming.

The project will be "managed" with the facility of a dedicated Mailing List
accessible at http://www.egroups.com/list/python_doc_translation
All details about the project on the ML's site... (archives are open to
anyone)

(Maybe some of you may wonder why I have decided to create a separate ML...
well, it's too soon to say if the project will produce valuable documents,
and federate enough efforts... so a specific place will be more practical
for now... we'll see what's goin on in the future)

Note that the submissions to this mailing-list should be posted in english
if for a general purpose. Specific languages' discussions will be held in
other languages....

Now for the project itself, ... well, up to now, the only started
translation is a french translation of
Guido Van Rossum's Tutorial. I let you know when it's out (or in
comp.lang.python).
We currently have at least 3 people willing to contribute to this french
translation.

I have also heard about japanese translations, and Dutch or German
(original) documents too... which were previously available.

Other languages (than french) translation efforts will be of course most
wellcome.

Thanx in advance for your comments or contribution about the project. (Note,
as I am not currently registered on the Doc-Sig, please reply to my e-mail
address : Olivier.Berger@capway.com).

Olivier Berger.

P.S.: Suggestion : if this project had to last and produce succesfull
results, why not integrate it in a specific SIG ?... but far too soon to
predict it ;)

Olivier BERGER
mailto:OlBerger@capgemini.fr
(si probleme essayer Olivier.Berger@Capway.com)
Ingenieur Projet - MCO Téléconduite
Cap Gemini France - Division Services Publics
Not speaking for his employer