[Doc-SIG] XML Conversion Update

Fred L. Drake, Jr. Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 14:46:21 -0400 (EDT)

Edward Welbourne writes:
 > As a matter of clarification ... supposing we take any one of the three
 > options (DocBook, inertia, revolution), they'll all be parsed down to
 > XML, so: to what extent can we rely on being able to generate DocBook
 > *from* the XML we've produced using either of the other options ?  After
 > all, XML to XML translations are supposed to all be natural and easy.

Edward,
  I don't see any technical limitations, but I'd be very wary of
assuming it would be "easy" or that *I* would implement the
transformations.  Writing good XSL won't be any easier than writing
good LaTeX styles, and you'd have to write it in XML to boot.
  (Ever played with XSL?  It's powerful... but tedious.)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>