[Doc-SIG] docstring grammar

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 14:53:50 -0500 (EST)

David Ascher writes:
 > Right.  It's not true for builtins, extension module functions, and I'm
 > not sure how easy it is for JPython code.  I have no problem with somehow
 > making it easy to omit those in cases where the information can be
 > obtained through the bytecode.

  The same information can be obtained from the parse tree; there's no
need to generate or examine bytecode, unless you want to extend this
to work on .pyc files for which you don't have sources!

 > Fine.  I think that falls somewhat outside of the 'docstring' proposal,
 > but I agree with it.

  We should think of in-source documentation; docstrings are simply an
important location for data-entry.  ;-)

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>