[Doc-SIG] docstring grammar

Fred L. Drake, Jr. fdrake@acm.org
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 15:45:13 -0500 (EST)

Robin Friedrich writes:
 > We could argue this forever. Gendoc solved this by collecting info either
 > way, based on a runtime switch. As an author running this tool obviously I
 > trust the module/package to be imported and generate the docs that way. And
 > of course C module doc strings will need this feature.

  And I maintain that you can't get enough information from a C
extension that implements new types.  Method information is not
available without instantiating the new objects, and doing that is
difficult to determine how to do (or even if it's needed if the module
doesn't export the newly-defined type objects).

 > Again, this is an application issue not a doc string grammar issue.

  Aside from the information discoverability issue, I'm perfectly
happy for someone to write a tool (or make pythondoc easily usable off
the shelf) that uses import.  I have no intention of stopping anyone
from producing tools here!

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>