[Doc-SIG] Undocumented modules

Fred L. Drake Fred L. Drake, Jr." <fdrake@acm.org
Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:18:15 -0500 (EST)

skip@mojam.com writes:
 > What's wrong with the old (1.5.1?) version of the posixpath documentation?
 > Did it change so much between 1.5.1 and 1.5.2 that it has to be rewritten?
 > I must be missing something pretty basic.

  'fraid so:  It's all listed under posixpath.  ;-)  The new docs
are for os.path (it's still in the file .../libposixpath.tex).  This
makes more sense for more people, and better encourages the cross-
platform usage.

 > Yup, my bad.  Okay, so errno is documented, but ERRNO isn't, yet they seem
 > to contain much the same contents.  What's the difference?

  I presume ERRNO, SOCKET, and many other ALL_UPPERCASE_MODULES
predate the approach of incorporating constants directly in the module
with which they're used.  Several of these files appear to be
generated by h2py, and they're located in the plat-*/ directories.
  These should probably be removed whenever possible.  I don't see any
imports of ERRNO, FILE, GET, GLWS, IN, IOCTL, SOCKET, SV, or WAIT
anywhere in the standard library.  I *do* see AL, CD, DEVICE, FCNTL,
FL, and GL used.  CL is only used by AWARE, which Sjoerd said should be
tossed.  CD and FCNTL are not documented, but maybe should be.

  -Fred

--
Fred L. Drake, Jr.	     <fdrake@acm.org>
1895 Preston White Dr.	    Reston, VA  20191