[Doc-SIG] Re: [XML-SIG] Re: PyDoc/XML?

Sean Mc Grath sean@digitome.com
Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:56:45 +0100

[Fred Drake over on xml-sig]
>  I think the only thing I'd really like to be able to use from SGML
>that XML doesn't offer is the empty end tag.  When marking one or two
>words, XML is incredibly verbose.  If I have:
>
>       In the module foo, the function bar() provides...
>
>The XML might be:
>
>       In the module <module>foo</module>, the function
>       <function>bar</function> provides...
>
>The corresponding SGML (with the right declaration) might be:
>
>       In the module <module>foo</>, the function <function>bar</>
>       provides...

An alternative is to use an application specific rule rather
than rely on the markup language. Here is what I mean:

        In the module <module/>foo, the function <function/>bar
       provides...

Here module and function are point elements identifying the
point at which module/function names begin. Application
logic then terminates the module/function name using
appropriate lexical rules i.e. next piece of whitespace
or whatever.

I would be the first to admit that some people find
this approach revolting but it works and it is valid
XML:-)

<Sean uri="http://www.digitome.com/sean.html">
Developers Day co-Chair WWW9, April 2000, Amsterdam
<uri>http://www.www9.org</uri>
</Sean>