[Doc-SIG] Markup of identifiers (was: Cross-reference proposal)

Peter Funk pf@artcom-gmbh.de
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 14:14:23 +0100 (MET)

Hi!

[Tony J Ibbs (Tibs)]:
> Strangely enough, cases 1 and 2 would be the places I would consider using a
> "don't cross reference this" markup. But given the problems of producing a
> markup for the case where we *do* want to markup items (pace Eddy and me
> arguing about "#"), I doubt we'll ever be able to agree on the idea of
> having "anti-markup" (gosh, there's a concept - obviously it should be used
> extensively in designing the documentation scheme for INTERCAL).

Several possibilities to markup (tag) identifiers in doc strings:

1. #identifier#        (recent proposal here, looks ugly to me)
2. [ident identifier]  (nobody here but M.Z. seems to like this kind of markup)
3. *identifier*        (also used for emphsizing in StructuredText,
		        used by the package Python Mega Widget)
4. 'identifier'        (used in the gendoc sources)
5. "identifier"	       (I have seen this occasionally, misleading)
6. `identifier'        (TeX look-alike quoting)
7. ^identifier	       (my personal idea, while thinking about alternatives
                        since identifiers don't contain white space,
			a single markup character in front of the
			identifier should be enough)

Are there other possibilities, which I may have missed?
If not, we have simply to choose one.

Regards, Peter
--
Peter Funk, Oldenburger Str.86, 27777 Ganderkesee, Tel: 04222 9502 70, Fax: -60