[Doc-SIG] Re: outdent.el (for .py editing in Emacs)

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Tue, 18 Jan 2000 10:42:58 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, Randall Hopper wrote:

> Ken Manheimer:
>  |> That is a really nice aid for Emacs users.  Personally I think this is
>  |> worth posting to the main python list! ;-)  And linked off of
>  |> http://www.python.org/emacs/, if you're confortable with it.
>  |It was on the python.org contrib section, but that's now gone.  I think it
>  |was in the python.org emacs section, too, but that seems to be gone - too
>  |bad!
>
> No it's still there:
>
>    http://www.python.org/emacs/

Whoops - my statement was ambiguous - i didn't mean that
http://www.python.org/emacs/ was gone, but rather that outdent isn't in
it.

> However I found it via the search engine, so I don't know whether it's
> reachable through links.
>
> FAQ entry 1.19 really needs updated to include:
>
>     Other Emacs goodies for Python (PDB Mode, outdent, etc.) can be found at:
>
>         http://www.python.org/emacs

Yes - i think outdent was there, can't recall why it was ditched...
(Barry?)

> Randall
>
>  |> Seeing outdent-show-all, I was looking for an 'outdent-hide-all' or
>  |> 'outdent-hide-this-level', but didn't find one.  No big deal.  I'll write a
>  |> macro for that sometime.
>  |Do '^U^C^H' at a top-level topic.  (If you just keep doing a '^C^H' it'll
>  |close things until you get to the top level, then a message will tell you
>  |to give the repeat count.)
>
> Great.  Referring to the function help on outdent-mode again, I infer that
> ^U must generally mean "for all"; I didn't pick that up the first time
> from the specific outdent-show-all example.

It's not ideal.  Neither is an alternative choice i made in my outliner
for emacs, allout.el, where doing a hide of a top-level topic that's
already hidden would do a hide-all.  Neither is particularly obvious, and
its easier to accidentally invoke the allout choice - for better or worse,
i'm not sure...

Ken Manheimer
klm@digicool.com