[Doc-SIG] Monty: A structured text syntax idea

Moshe Zadka Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 16:04:13 +0200 (IST)

On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Sean Mc Grath wrote:

> 		I got to thinking how Python mandatory indentation
> 		emph:
> 			removes
> 		much of the need for delimiters

Actually, it sounds like a good idea, but I think some tradeoffs can
be made. I'll put out a document soon (I've only got it in dead tree
format right now) which describes the syntax, and I do use indentation
for some of the markup. However, using it for all the markup might create
an *roff like monster. Currently, I'm partial for (the horror) brackets
for stuff that will be short like [module urllib] and function
[func urlopen], and using (double colons) for block delimiting, since we
(unlike Python) have to play well with NatLang...

I'm commited to documenting at least one Python module
with any syntax I suggest before putting out a complete document.

cheers!
--
Moshe Zadka <mzadka@geocities.com>.
INTERNET: Learn what you know.