[Doc-SIG] htmldoc.py and inspect.py

Paul Prescod paul@prescod.net
Tue, 30 May 2000 11:51:06 -0500

Ka-Ping Yee wrote:

> Also this avoids the entire issue of exactly what particular
> structured-text formatting conventions you're going to use.
> I do like structured text (indeed, WikiWiki is WwWonderful)
> but you should see just how long discussions can go on and on
> about how best to do this sort of thing.

Insofar as there are virtues to structured text, JavaDOC, POD, XML and
other stuff, I wonder if it would be useful to have a plug-in
architecture that allowed you to choose your own syntax. Eventually we
would want to standardize, of course, but in the short term we could
experiment and have fun holy wars and so forth.

Your code would pass the docstring to the plugin and get back a string
that it would splat into the HTML.

The correct plugin would be chosen using some kind of per-module pragma.
The default would be the current behavior.

"Hardly anything more unwelcome can befall a scientific writer than
having the foundations of his edifice shaken after the work is
finished.  I have been placed in this position by a letter from
Mr. Bertrand Russell..."
 - Frege, Appendix of Basic Laws of Arithmetic (of Russell's Paradox)