[Doc-SIG] A promise

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Mon, 27 Nov 2000 16:21:50 -0000

Fred L. Drake, Jr. wrote:
> [...deletia...]   I imagine there are at
> least two components (long term):

> a tool that people run over their .py files,

That was the one I was thinking of, and will be the first "product".

> and a package in the standard library that allows access to
> useful chunks of documentation "online", with an interface
> from the interactive interpreter, IDLE, or other IDEs.

And that was the one I *wasn't* thinking of, but should have thought of.

>   I think the *first* thing to do is to create the tool;

!!

> the library can be evolved & refactored from that codebase and
> additional requirements over time; I don't see this as terribly
pressing.

Agreed. If "refactoring" is what I've always taken it to be, any piece
of Python code I work on gets refactored about once or twice a week in
the early stages anyway...

> The package in the standard library should probably be called
"docutils",
> after Greg Ward's "distutils",

And that is useful input - I've *been* calling it STNG, which I already
knew was a Bad Idea (since it's a term Zope should be allowed to keep
for themselves).

> but I've not a clue as to what to call
> the command-line tool (well, not any good clues).

OK, I'll call it something I can type and we'll rename it later. I'll
avoid bad puns unless I can think of one.

Tibs

Give a pedant an inch and they'll take 25.4mm
(once they've established you're talking a post-1959 inch, of course)