[Doc-SIG] lightweight markup: bullets

Ken Manheimer klm@digicool.com
Sat, 14 Apr 2001 13:41:04 -0400 (EDT)

On Sat, 14 Apr 2001, Edward D. Loper wrote:

> Do you think that we should have any colorizing at all?  If so, what
> colors?  People usually talk about *emphasis*, although I really very
> rarely find it useful in docstrings (despite its usefulness in
> *email*).  The color I most often want is something to mark a token as
> a python identifier (or, more generally, to mark a string as Python
> code).

Huh - me too.  And certainly, emphasis is not significant when it comes to
auto-documentation considerations like function-name and variable indexes!
(Without any special interpretation, the rare occasions that i use "*"
emphasis in my docstrings will still show through - as "*" emphasis.
Handy, that.-)

Marking tokens is another matter - but just marking them doesn't add much
info to the auto-index situation.  Significant info would require more
elaborate structuring conventions, which we're nowhere near discussing
yet.

Why *don't* we start without coloring, and get plenty of the other useful
stuff that you mention in place?  We can defer the controversy, and maybe
when we get around to it we'll know more what kind of structuring we
really need...

Excellent.

Ken
klm@digicool.com