[Doc-SIG] field syntax (was re: lists & blank lines)

Edward D. Loper edloper@gradient.cis.upenn.edu
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 17:26:20 EDT

> [Edward Loper, referring to fields]
> > ... and at the end of the docstring)
>
> Again, why? Why restrict fields to the end of a docstring? Seems
> artificial to me.

It is somewhat artificial.  The reasoning was as follows: the
position of the fields does not convey any semantic information;
tools are likely to disregard the position when formatting
their output.  If we let people put them wherever they want in
the docstring, then they may assume that they will appear in
that position in the output of doc formatting tools (i.e., that
their position *does* convey semantic information).  This is
dangerous, and should be stamped out. :)  So, put all fields
at the end, so no one will get confused.

-Edward