Context dependent markup (was [Doc-SIG] Re: Ho hum - back to work...)

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Mon, 23 Apr 2001 12:16:49 +0100

Edward D. Loper wrote (well, in response to me):
> > I still don't understand why Edward (and Guido, although I think
> > he's less likely to answer!) object to "simple" markup like ST and
> > relatives use - why they consider it a Bad Thing to (a) use
> > punctuation characters for markup, and (b) use them in a context
> > dependent manner.
>
> I actually don't object to either (a) or (b), strictly speaking.  What
> I object to is markup that I think will be "unsafe."  For example, I
> have no problem with using *one* *word* *emph*, or saying that
> backticks around any valid Python identifier mark it as a Python
> object.  My biggest pet peve about ST-like markup is having a markup
> be context-dependant, with a basically unbounded context.. For
> example, if "*" starts an emph region only if there's another "*"
> later in the string somewhere; and otherwise is an asterisk.

Which I don't think I've ever proposed...

> This
> seems very dangerous to me.  I want to be able to tell (under most
> circumstances), by looking at a character and its immediate context,
> whether it's markup or not..

But my problem is that I think this has always been possible (and I
think you disagree) so there is clearly some leeway on this clarity,
which is what I'm trying to track down.

> So, as long as we keep our contexts
> relatively small, I don't object to context-dependant markup.  (In
> fact, both bullets and "::" are definitely context-sensitive markup,
> and I think they're very intuitive.)
>
> As for using punctuation characters, that's fine (what else would you
> use??), but if possible we should try to keep the need for escaping to
> a minimum, because escaping will be ugly and non-intuitive, no matter
> how we do it.  So we should try to keep the number of punctuation
> characters we use to a minimum.

Ooh - there's that nasty POD-clone (hmm - bad puns about pod-people
narrowly averted)

> > (As a subpoint, I don't *quite* understand why Edward wants to
> > separate structuring and colourising so much - this seems to me to
> > be implementation detail (for this purpose, I consider the EBNF to
> > be "implementation" as well) - real people don't have trouble with
> > fuzzy distinctions about such things.)
>
> There are really 2 reasons:
>
>   1. A general divide-and-conquor approach to the problem of coming
>      up with a markup language.  I'm more confident that we'll be able
>      to come to consensus on smaller issues/domains than larger ones.
>      This reason has nothing to do with the final markup language, and
>      everything to do with how we get there.
>
>   2. A side-effect of dividing structuring and colorizing is
>      eliminating a number of issues, such as how to tell whether
>      a line in a paragraph starting with "1." is a bullet or a
>      continuation of the previous line.
>
>   3. I think that the markup language will be easier to understand
>      if colorizing and structuring don't interact much.
>
> My original reasons were (1) and (3).  (2) was something that happily
> fell out.

I like 1. I suspect that 3 doesn't always split *quite* that way, but
point taken. I think 2 addresses exactly that issue about how it doesn't
always split that way (and I tend to agree with Tim Peters' point some
while back that "if it looks like markup..." (to paraphrase
aggressively)). OK.

Tibs

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"