[Doc-SIG] Issues with 2.1 doc PDF files

Dinu Gherman gherman@darwin.in-berlin.de
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 09:36:49 +0200

Hello,

I've just noticed that there are considerable differences
between the PDF files documenting Python 2.1 and those for
2.0. Basically, these are:

- file sizes are much bigger for 2.1 (50-100%)
- fonts are approximated with pixelized bitmaps

As a result you get:

- much longer page building times in PDF readers
- considerable longer search times
- much longer print times (probably - haven't checked)

I've not verified this for each PDF file (it's prominently
obvious for the tutorial, though), but I assume the same
effects can be observed for all of them, when comparing with
corresponding files from the previous release.

So, I'm really curious what the reason for this phenomenon
could be? If there isn't any, I suggest reproducing the
files to no longer show the described effects as they will
definitely distract people from reading the files online
and simply lead to a bad overall impression about their
generation process, if not even their content.

Regards,

Dinu

--
Dinu C. Gherman