[Doc-SIG] Re: Issues with 2.1 doc PDF files

Guido van Rossum guido@digicool.com
Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:19:01 -0500

> Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >
> > > Ok, I learned that this is said to be expected behaviour
> > > in 2.x. Still, I think it should be documented in the
> > > main FAQ and not only in this one:
> > >
> > >   http://www.python.org/cgi-bin/moinmoin/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#line24
> >
> > Rather than complaining, you can do it yourself.  The main FAQ's
> > password is "Spam".
>
> Great, I didn't know that! What is still unclear to me
> is if there is a real need for two FAQs (and maybe more
> in the future)? Especially, as the MoinMoin one seems to
> be unreachable from python.org and python.org/search.
> To me right now it looks like leading people astray with-
> out a good reason.

The MoinMoin was an experiment because the FAQ appeared cumbersome to
maintain.  I'm not convinced that it worked.  The problem is, somebody
needs to own the FAQ and it ain't gonna be me, so until someone picks
it up, it's like my backyard -- a wasteland with great potential but
mostly collecting piles of dead leaves...

> Also, given more frequent releases, would it make sense,
> perhaps, to indicate the Python version that a specific
> feature/module/whatever is available from in some of the
> standard Python documentation files?

Carefully study the official Python docs -- they already indicates
the version where something is introduced or changed.