[Doc-SIG] Comments on the DPS texts: __version__

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 09:23:21 +0100

Garth T Kidd [mailto:garth@deadlybloodyserious.com] wrote:
> I'd also like to see the use of $Revision$ in __version__
> deprecated.

Agreed - I think this is horrible too. Moreover, it's *really* a "bad
pun" (in the programming sense) - it isn't *really* the software's
version, as you say.

> People who love CVSisms and RCSisms in their code should
> instead use::

Well, people who use CVS/RCS may well have good reasons for wanting to
keep these around. But I think "__id__" is wrong - instead, make it
explicit::

	__cvsid__ = "$Id"

or perhaps even::

	__revisionid__ = "$Id"

Tibs

Well we're safe now....thank God we're in a bowling alley.
- Big Bob (J.T. Walsh) in "Pleasantville"