[Doc-SIG] Colons and footnotes (was RE: reST Wiki mode, was [Doc-SIG] Suggestions for reST "modes")

Garth T Kidd garth@deadlybloodyserious.com
Thu, 9 Aug 2001 09:10:10 +1000

> *My* reason for suggesting using them was, however, entirely
> orthogonal, and was simply that it is one less thing to remember,
> if *all* hyperlink targets start with ``.. _`` and end with ``:``.

Yep. That's pretty much it for me. Permitting or mandating colons also
removes the requirement for footnote target identifiers to not include
the square brackets, as I'd hopefully be able to distinguish between a
footnote reference and a link to a footnote like so::

   This line has a footnote reference. [1]_

   This line refers to the footnote `[1]`_

Hmmm. Or maybe I should just dig my heels in and insist upon removing
the square brackets from the identifier. :)

Regards,
Garth.