[Doc-SIG] Re: reST: Section titles and "underlining"

David Goodger dgoodger@bigfoot.com
Thu, 09 Aug 2001 23:07:12 -0400

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) <tony@lsl.co.uk> wrote on 2001-08-08 5:15 AM:
> > >     You don't say which characters may be used as "underlines"
> > >     for section titles.

I've amended reStructureText.txt, "Section Structure", as follows::

    An underline/overline is a single repeated punctuation character
    that begins in column 1 and forms a line extending at least as far
    as the right edge of the title text. Specifically, an
    underline/overline character may be any non-alphanumeric printable
    7-bit ASCII character [1]_.

In a footnote I list them all specifically.

> Oh - thinks - so one can also do::
>
>     Section title

No, just one character, repeated, per underline.

--
David Goodger    dgoodger@bigfoot.com    Open-source projects:
 - Python Docstring Processing System: http://docstring.sourceforge.net