reST Wiki mode, was [Doc-SIG] Suggestions for reST "modes"

Tony J Ibbs (Tibs) tony@lsl.co.uk
Mon, 13 Aug 2001 09:36:16 +0100

David Goodger wrote:
> I don't see much difference between "command directives" and "pragma
> directives"; command directives simply don't act on any data.
>
> The big difference I see is one of scope. A true pragma (global
> directive?) will affect the entire parser session, whereas a local
> directive only affects its text block.

Ah - that's exactly the difference I was seeing. Although, of course, a
pragma directive affects the input stream *from that point on* (it would
be a big restriction to say all pragma directives must be globally
effective.

Perhaps we differ over whether such a different desrves a difference in
terminology - it's not a very important thing to worry about. I just
thought I was seeing some discinctions that having a "name" would help
describe.

Tibs

"How fleeting are all human passions compared with the massive
continuity of ducks." - Dorothy L. Sayers, "Gaudy Night"