[Doc-SIG] Not escaping the escape leaves no escape ;)

Jürgen Hermann jhe@webde-ag.de
Tue, 14 Aug 2001 12:31:19 +0200

> > Well, my first guess would be ``\\*``
>
> Aaargh - no, I *meant* ``\\\*`` - as in::
>
>    This text contains \\\*, which should be
>    a backslash followed by an asterisk.

No, your first guess was right. Since '\\' is not an escape sequence, the
lexer would return '\', with '\*' remaining. And '\*' is a single asterisk.
So the only problem remaining is that NOONE used to "normal" escaping will
be able to grok this intuitively, which both of us just proved very nicely.
;)

Ciao, Jürgen

--
Jürgen Hermann, Developer (jhe@webde-ag.de)